Preventing Mosquito Infestations from Your Florida Home
Mosquito Habitats & Breeding Grounds
Mosquitoes flourish in warm environments with moisture, like areas all over Florida. They establish breeding grounds in water where they can lay their eggs and allow the subsequent larvae to develop into adults. Because mosquitoes can lay almost 400 eggs and the larvae only need a few weeks to develop, breeding grounds can quickly become infestations, making your outdoor area an unpopular space.
Mosquito Diseases & Health Risks
Preventing mosquitoes is more than keeping your backyard free from obnoxious pests. It’s also making sure your yard is a safe and healthy place to spend time. Mosquitoes can cause widespread disease if they are not actively treated. Allowing mosquito populations to thrive in your area increases your risk for various viruses that can result in short, severe, or long-term illnesses. Such viruses and diseases include:
How to Prevent Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes thrive in hot and humid environments where they can easily establish breeding grounds in stagnant water. To prevent the likelihood of mosquito infestations, follow these tips:
- Avoid stagnant water – Mosquitoes prefer stagnant water as this is where they can lay eggs and let them develop. Items like buckets, inflatable pools, dog bowls, bird feeders, and planters should be refreshed with clean water frequently.
- Tightly Cover Pools, Grills & Boats – Make sure all covers are pulled tightly to avoid any pooling of rain that can provide mosquitoes with standing water.
- Keep Pool Water Circulating – Pools have a much lower chance of harboring mosquitoes if it is well-treated and consistently circulated.
- Mow and Trim Tall Grass – Tall grass provides mosquitoes with the shade and moisture they enjoy. Maintain your lawn frequently to keep mosquito populations in check.
- Clean Your Gutters – Gutters can provide mosquito with another potentially damp place to breed.
- Hire Professional Mosquito Control – Our mosquito experts can locate any other hidden spots where mosquitoes are likely to develop and eradicate pests already present.